Chicago Slaying Not the First
Uber has a long list of violence and bizarre events. Usually it’s carried out by their drivers, not by the riders. The case in Chicago is different from the norm, but no less horrifying. It also shows the difference between the ride share service and traditional taxis. Most users are unaware of the incredible risks they take on.
The Chicago Tribune reported on the murder case. A 16 year old girl, Eliza Wasni, allegedly murdered an Uber driver last month. Police charged her with First Degree Murder. Wasni attacked the driver, Grant Nelson, with a machete she stole from Walmart. She attacked him not long after Nelson picked her up. It appears that Wasni attacked the driver randomly, but more details emerge about the case. Furthermore, the fact she was even in the car was a violation on Uber’s already flimsy rules. No minors are allowed to use the service.
Unfortunately this isn’t the only similar case. Not even close. The Chicago Tribune also reported on another case where a fellow passenger stabbed another. The Courier News reported on an Uber driver charged with driving under the influence. All of these add up to a disturbing pattern. They’re also just the tip of the iceberg.
Uber and Lyft both have extensive issues with drivers and safety. Even in cases with good drivers, the companies’ policies make such violence and crashes more likely. Riders accused some Uber drivers of sexual assault as former employees claim the heads of the company set up a hostile work environment. Uber is caught in a major lawsuit over stealing Google’s tech. All of these add up to a major danger to consumers.
Keep it here for updates on other issues with Uber and the rise of the ridesharing app mania.
Posts by Michael Ehline
- New Metrics for Old and New Sites
- The Decision to Outsource Legal Work
- Building Your Reputation With an Ethical Base
- Playing the Modern Public Relations Game
- Surfing the Online Review Game
- Google's Online Advertising Plan Will Make Things Work
- Uber Fires Controversial SDC Car Engineer
- Program and Syllabus COLT Con 2017 - Palazzo Hotel
- Las Vegas 2017 Circle of Legal Trust Convention - April 20, 2017-April 22, 2017
- Branding for Attorneys and Law Firms 101