How Much Will This Delay Self Driving Car Tech?
Uber seems to have finally done something right. The beleaguered company removed a major figure from its self driving car division. This follows a number of major shakeups at the company accused of fostering sexism, violence, and intellectual property theft. The company’s engaged in a knock out, drag out fight with another tech giant, Google. The company’s viability is in doubt, even after the recent changes.
Mashable reported on the story. Uber finally canned Anthony Levandowski. He’s in court accused of stealing Google’s tech research on SDCs. He’s a controversial figure, even by Uber standards. The New York Times also wrote on the subject, The firing shows just how much risk the new tech is. The engineer lied about stealing the info from his former employer before jumping ship to form his own company. Uber then purchased that company. The fight between Waymo, Google’s SDC arm, and Uber is one for the popcorn.
Considering Uber’s immense number of issues and legal challenges, this should be no surprise. However, the culture of corruption at the company is extensive and worrying. Faced with years of legal challenges and immense tech hurdles to get a self driving car on the road, Uber is a risky bet at best. It’s also a poor choice for consumers worried about Uber’s shoddy public safety record. There’s a reason the company is banned from a number of cities and states. That list is only going to grow as time goes on.
Ridesharing is dangerous, and self driving cars moreso. Uber is among the worst offenders on both. Considering the risk to the public, it is only a matter of time before Uber changes their entire model. Keep it tuned her for more information as we cover this issue in depth.
Posts by Michael Ehline
- New Metrics for Old and New Sites
- The Decision to Outsource Legal Work
- Building Your Reputation With an Ethical Base
- Playing the Modern Public Relations Game
- Surfing the Online Review Game
- Google's Online Advertising Plan Will Make Things Work
- Uber Murder Another in Long List of Rideshare Violence
- Program and Syllabus COLT Con 2017 - Palazzo Hotel
- Las Vegas 2017 Circle of Legal Trust Convention - April 20, 2017-April 22, 2017
- Branding for Attorneys and Law Firms 101