By Eddy Montez – Los Angeles in particular has a huge number of personal injury attorneys. Naturally, every SEO company has strived hard to sell their “services” to these new and old injury lawyers alike. But many of these companies sell services based upon techniques that worked in 2007, but that don’t work now. As a result, many legal counsel in the “City of Angels” actually are harming their sites and brand.
COLT, short for Circle of Legal Trust (click here), was started by a Los Angeles negligence lawyer in response to all the garbage search practices, and is now an international brain trust of lawyers helping lawyers in local, social and organic search techniques and principles. In achieving the most beneficial rankings on search engines, to acquire the highest amount of clients, some dishonest Search Engine Optimization (SEO) individuals have formulated more and more complex methods, in order to beat the competition.
There are Two Kinds of Techniques Used in Performing SEO:
- White Hat: The use of these techniques fall within the ethical use of SEO. This is a method of using relevant keywords; clear metadata and Alt attribute text. These techniques comply with the intent of search engine quality guidelines.
- Black Hat: This is the use of techniques to trick search engines in a devious way to promote content that has no relevance to the user. This is deceptive and is usually breaking or stretching the search engine guidelines. This can lead to spam penalties, which can be painful in the loss or traffic or in a worst case scenario devastating to the site involved in these techniques.
Implementing aggressive anti-spam with search engines changes everything. If you want rankings, then you will need use techniques that are within the rules. This will mean not using any type of deception or tricks, but instead using honest relevancy. All of the other methods that have been used are fading away, since they are useless.
The search engines commonly have a code of conduct, while there are some small things that will vary from one search engine to another, but the main principles are the same.
Keywords Must be Relevant, and Associated With the Body Content of the Page
The placement of keywords needs to be natural in order to be accepted by the search engines,along with the color and other items on the documents. So stuffing keywords (a technique that used to rank your legal site well), now gets the site a Panda penalty (Click here.) In other words, repeating money keywords like “injury”, “attorney”, “lawyer”, over and over will actually hurt your site.
Keyword density and frequency should not be overused on the page; instead the use should be natural for the topic. (click to learn more about keyword density.)
The utilization of redirect technology like doorway pages, etc., should improve and help the user experience. If redirect technology is used, it is generally considered a trick by the search and frequently results in removal from an index. Using redirect technology, it should display a page, where the content contains the suitable keywords, not bait and switch tactics.
How Do I get Re-Indexed?
After being caught by the search engine for spamming and being taken out of the index, getting the site re-indexed can be done. It will mean going through your page to remove any spam issues that caused the site to be taken out of the index, in the first place. Then the page must be resubmitted for placement in the index. This will not happen immediately, resubmission will mean waiting with everyone else for the search engine to re-index the page. If you have a law practice In LA in particular, you understand why you need to take hold of your legal website marketing.
Posts by Michael Ehline
- Program and Syllabus COLT Con 2017
- Las Vegas 2017 Circle of Legal Trust Convention - April 20, 2017-April 22, 2017
- Branding for Attorneys and Law Firms 101
- Problem Avoidance 101 for Attorneys and Social Media
- Penguin, Lawyers and the New SEO Landscape
- Building Meaningful and Effective Web Content
- Joe Mas takes the Award for 2016 for Best Speaker
- Trust Con Las Vegas 2016 Was a Hit!
- Legal Branding and Notoriety Just Got Easier for Attorneys!
- Program for April Vegas 7th-9th