Faces Massive Legal Scrutiny
Europe mired Google in a years-long struggle over anti-trust accusations. EU regulators allege the web giant uses its influence to route money and traffic its way. Its parent company, Alphabet, is already on the hook for $2.7 billion in fines. Now the internet giant fights back. It hired a number of high powered attorneys to take on the EU.
Seeking Alpha had a good piece about the situation.
Reuters also covered the unfolding fight. Google hired within Europe, hiring at least five top Brussels law firms. Google also fears a possible judgement regarding its Android cell phone os. The EU also weighs another case regarding the Adsense ad platform. Google challenges the EU in a case likely to head to the General Court in Luxumbourg. Among the major firms, these include: Cleary Gottlieb, Allen & Overy, Slaughter and May, Garrigues and White & Case.
For Google, a Small Price to Pay
Google will not give in without a fight. Furthermore, it knows it is on the hook for almost $3 billion. To them, what is several tens of millions to get it back?
The EU made a strong case against the web giant. It showed in many depositions its conniving. The search giant has tentacles in nearly every element of modern life. Its use of varying means of manipulation is breathtaking. In addition, Google never accepted responsibility for any of it. The company continues its rapid ascent. Will EU and US regulators make a dent? That part appears unclear.
Furthermore, Google has the money to back up its imperialism. However, with the strong opposition of advocacy groups and government, it doesn’t have to just head in one direction. Google has a lot of growing to do, and maybe a lot of growing up to do.
For more info, keep reading our site. Ehline Law covers these topics very closely. Our team of legal experts will give a blow by blow of the upcoming fight.
Posts by Michael Ehline
- PR, Social Media, Content Marketing & SEO – A World of Rapid Changes
- How Will Google's EU Fines Affect PPC Bids?
- EU Slaps Google with More Antitrust Allegations
- Fight Between EU and Google Just Warming Up
- Tech Lobbying Money a Troubling Trend
- Google Seeks Self Driving Car Safety Exemption
- The "Right to be Forgotten" and Legal Precedent
- Gmail a Potential Security Minefield
- Fight Between Google and EU Just Warming Up
- Will Paid Google Ads Withstand Allegations of Years Long Fraud